Monday 26 May 2014

A Brilliant Lentil Salad

I finished my last exam a week ago - my last ever university exam.  I know, aahh!  Actually, it's been pretty anti-climatic.  I don't technically graduate until late June, so maybe it'll feel different then.  But that explains the lack of posts hah.

Anyway, enough about me.  I really like this lentil salad, it may seem simple but it's brilliant.  The key is to dress the whole thing while it's still hot and letting that flavor infuse - if you can, make it a day in advance and keep it in the fridge - it's even better the next day.
And the herbs! So much herbs!  It makes a difference.  I'm  hopeless with growing plants and all that.  I can't keep any herb plant alive for more than 4 days.  I'm very neglectful, I forget to take care of it.  I remember once in middle school my Science teacher told the class to all get a plant and learn to grow and nurture it - so that we can learn to take care of children in the future.  My mint plant didn't survive for very long....



Serves 3-4 
Ingredients
1 1/2 cups puy lentils
1 cup chopped basil
1 cup chopped spring onions
1 1/2 cup chopped mint
1 large garlic clove, minced
2 tbsp capers
1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil, diced
1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced
A good amount of extra-virgin olive oil
Juice of 1/2 lemon

Method
Put the lentils with about twice the amount of water, bring to a boil and cook for about 30 minutes or until done.

Drain, and while still hot, mix in all the other ingredients and season.  Cover and leave to chill for a few hours before serving. 

2 comments:

  1. This recipe sounds delicious I'm definitely making it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your last exam! The salad sounds great, I always add a lot of herbs to my salads too.

    ReplyDelete

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner