Saturday 5 July 2014

How to: Candied Ginger

Today was a day of successes and failures.  Successes: candied ginger and tomato sauce.  Failures: burnt ginger gooseberry jam and eating too much mediocre tiramisu.  The latter two left me kind of sad.  However, rather than dwelling on the failures in life, we should celebrate the successes, and we need to celebrate these candied ginger pieces.
 They're so easy to make.  My mom had bought a pack of candied ginger and I got annoyed - I hate buying things that can be made at home.  That's also why I get annoyed when my mother buys jam! And that's why I tried making jam today but okay I've burnt jam a couple of times already.  I just forget about it until I smell the burnt sugar.

 You essentially just boil the ginger, then you boil it with sugar, then you let it dry, then you toss it in sugar.  Stop buying it. 

You know what would be nice?  Dipping it in dark chocolate afterwards - ginger and chocolate's one of my favorite chocolate combinations. 

Recipe adapted from Healthy Green Kitchen
Ingredients
200g fresh ginger, peeled
200g caster sugar + more for coating

Method
Thinly slice the ginger and put in a pot, cover with water and bring it to a boil.  Turn the heat down and let it simmer for 20 minutes, then drain and repeat the process once more.  

Add 200g of sugar and bring it to a boil again, then bring it down to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.  Put on a rack to dry, reserve the syrup for another use.  After a couple of hours, toss in sugar and you're done!


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner