Wednesday 10 September 2014

Chocolate Ginger Biscotti

#Awkwardmoments When I went to the gym and halfway through I found chocolate cookie dough all over my arms.
 The only reason I was at the gym was because they gave me this free day pass, psssh the gym just makes me hate myself. 10 minutes in on the treadmill and I felt like I was about to have a heart attack.  After a painful 45 minutes the lady working there tried to convince me to join the gym -- £50 a month on a 12 month contract.  B*tch please, my phone contract isn't even that committed.
  
But I went back home and I felt better about eating more of these chocolate ginger biscotti.  Funnily enough, the next day, it was as if the universe was giving me a sign -- there was a Groupon deal for that gym: £28 for 10 day passes.  Yes, I got it.  I just came back from a yoga class from there and my back feels amazing and horrible at the same time.  Apparently this feeling will only be heightened tomorrow.  

So these are adapted from David Lebovitz's chocolate biscotti recipe.  Very delicious, as are all of his recipes.  I wanted to make them a bit more exciting than plain chocolate though and so I added the ground ginger for a nice kick.  I think ginger and chocolate are one of my favorite flavor combinations.  Few things are better as a snack than crystallized gingers coated in dark chocolate. Ohhh if you have some crystallized ginger then chop them up and throw them into the dough as well. 

Recipe adapted from David Lebovitz 
Makes 50-60 biscotti
Ingredients
2 cups (280g) flour
3/4 cups (75g) top-quality cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 heaping tsp ground ginger
3 large eggs, at room temperature  + 1 egg for egg glaze
1 cup (200g) sugar
1 cup (125g) almonds, toasted and very coarsely-chopped
3/4 cups (120g) dark chocolate, roughly chopped



Method
Preheat oven to 180C/ 350F

In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, ground ginger and salt. 



In a large bowl, whisk together the 3 eggs and sugar.  Mix in half the flour and when it's all incorporated mix in the rest along with the almonds and dark chocolate.

Form into two logs about 2" thick on a floured surface.  Place on a greased baking tray.  Whisk the egg for the egg glaze and brush over the logs.  Put in oven and bake for 20-30 minutes or until they're firm to the touch.

Take the logs out and leave to cool for 15 minutes.  Slice at an angle into 2cm pieces using a serated bread knife.  Place the cookies cut side up back on the baking tray and put them in the oven to bake for 20-30 minutes, turning  cookies upside down midway through baking.  20-30 minutes, until the cookies are mostly firm.





No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner