Sunday 11 January 2015

Rosemary Tahini Oat Cookies

Some days are reserved for easy baking.  The no-hassle, roughly-measured, mix-everything-together-and-in-the-oven baking that  almost definitely results in an edible product.  Sunday was one of those days, and out came these rosemary tahini oat cookies.
 It's all wholegrain, with just a bit of butter as most of the fat comes from the tahini so they're pretty healthy (so they can fit into your January diet).  I've been meaning to try this tahini-rosemary combination for awhile.   I saw it in a cake recipe and once I did make the cake but it all went horribly wrong -- I somehow put too much baking powder in and the whole thing tasted metallic and so I fed it to the seagulls.  Don't worry - it was still safe for them to eat, no harm was done.  Unfortunately.  I really hated those damn seagulls.

Anyway, this time all was well.  It was easy-baking and these cookies were sublime - I gave myself a big pat on the back for these cookies.  What I love about tahini is that it's got that lovely smoky and rich taste.  It's one of those staple ingredients I always have in the fridge as I could have it with just about anything.
Adapted from Food Fitness Fresh Air
Makes about 30 cookies
Ingredients
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp fresh rosemary leaves, finely chopped
1/4 cup tahini
56g / 4bsp butter
1/2 cup brown sugar + 1 tbsp
1 egg

Method
Preheat the oven to 180C and grease and line a baking tray.

In a bowl, mix the oats, flour, baking soda, salt, rosemary and cinnamon together. 

In a separate bowl, using electric mixers, beat the tahini together with the butter until smooth.  Then beat in the sugar and egg.

Mix in the dry ingredients.  Roll into small balls and place them onto the baking tray, spaced a few cm apart from each other, and bake for about 9-12 minutes or until brown on the edges. They'll crisp up as they cool down. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner