Thursday 1 December 2011

Saffron and Cardamom Scones

It was 22:45 and I had done just about enough integration for the night.  The only sensible thing to do was to bake, obviously.  My double cream was about to expire so I had to use it, and I thought scones.  I thought spiced scones.  I thought saffron and cardamom scones with white chocolate chips.
Cardamom and saffron are soul mates.  They're meant to be together in desserts.  Indian desserts always feature the two together, they may be the first matchmakers to do so actually.  I don't know if it's the work of God or India, I'm just happy that they got put together.

 It took literally 5 minutes to prepare and your whole house will smell of saffron and luxury.  I love saffron, I had bought some from Italy and I was just dying to use this overpriced ingredient.  It is the world's most expensive spice, costing more than gold.  Worth it?  I don't know.  You only need the slightest bit each time though because it's such a powerful spice.

Cardamom on the other hand is a much more humble ingredient. Please don't let saffron overshadow her partner though, cardamom's contribution to the dish is just as wonderful.
Prep time: 5 min  Cook time: 25 min  Serves: 4  Suitable for: midnight snacks/fancy tea parties

Ingredients
200g self-raising flour
50g sugar
1 packet of ground saffron (1 tsp)
8 cardamom pods, shelled and ground
1/2 cup white chocolate chips/chunks
1 tsp salt
200ml double cream

Method
Preheat the oven to 250C or as high as your oven goes.  Sift the flour and mix in the sugar, salt, ground cardamom and white chocolate chip.
 Add the double cream and mix just until combined.

Take out and put on baking sheet, don't mess around with it too much.  Cut into desired shapes*

Place in the oven for 20-25 minutes.

I believe good scones don't need butter and jam as company.  Good scones are like pretty girls who don't need any make up.  This is a beautiful, expensive and high-class girl.  Please don't let any jam overpower the purity of cardamom and saffron.

*since it was a late night snack the last thing I cared about was presentation so please cut out cute little circles or something for your fancy tea parties

Variations
The beautiful relationship between cardamom and saffron can blossom in any dessert.  Make them the stars in your next porridge, pancakes, muffins etc.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner