Wednesday 19 September 2012

Mint and Zucchini Quinoa Salad

Ah another one of those delightful vegan dishes.  I had made this during my vegan challenge, and god I really wanted to put some goat's cheese in it.  Please don't be silly like I was and add some cheese to this salad.  
I have not yet had proper cheese since the end of my vegan challenge.  You'd think I'd run to the cheese shop or the butcher's or the fishmonger's and empty my wallet, but surprisingly, as soon as the ban of such foods was lifted, I no longer felt the overwhelming temptation of such foods.  I could write my Psychology research essay on this, actually.  I'd love to write about food and emotions.  The reason I love food is that it makes me happy, from eating it to making it, it's just all therapeutic and relaxing and brings me pleasure.  Anyway, I stray, I'm talking about cheese.  I love cheese, I think most salads need some cheese in it.

This is a very light and fresh summer salad, good for a picnic. You could even put some yoghurt into the dressing.  Oh I've missed dairy.

Ingredients
1/4 cup quinoa
1/2 zucchini
a handful of mint
juice of 1/2 lemon

Method
Rinse the quinoa a couple of times and put it in a pot with 1/2 cup of water.  Bring it to a boil then turn the heat down, cover and let it simmer for about 15 minutes or until all the water is absorbed.  When done, fluff with a fork.
Sautee the zucchini in oil until softened.
Chop the mint and toss it with the quinoa along with the zucchini, some olive oil and salt.  

1 comment:

  1. I loved your vegan challenge. I thought I'd feel infinitely sorry for you not to have cheese (you know me) but actually those were some of your most inspiring recipes. I already tried the eggplant and chickpea curry (YUMMY! and my sister had brought back garam masala from india and I want to find more healthy dishes to use some) and will probably make that as soon as I find quinoa.
    Anyway, maybe because your pictures are so good (I love the wooden background, much better than what we worked with last year) and that I could not try these ones without making them myselves, I found all of thoses very helping in my attempt to eat healthy food.
    xx
    Sarah
    P.S: All of this comments on your food and your photos could me summed up by a mushy declaration like "I miss you" but I know that emotions are for the weak. ;)

    ReplyDelete

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner