Monday 19 August 2013

Watermelon, Tomato, Almond & Ricotta Gazpacho


Are you lucky enough to be in a hot summer paradise right now?  It's August and I'm roasting like a chicken under the scorching Italian sun.  Oh I love it, I spend most of my time in Scotland shivering, this is beautiful.  So what if I'm sweating out of places I didn't even think were possible to have sweat glands?  There's the beach, there's AC and there's food for the summer.  What do you go for in times like this?   For me it's always been watermelon -- thick slices with bright red juicy flesh, if there's anything to cool you down, this is it.  Juice it with some orange juice and vodka if you wish, or just eat it as it is, scoop it out with a fork, or hey, how about in a soup?


My friend, Victoria, recommended this recipe to me.  She's also a foodie and a fantastic cook, though I haven't been fortunate enough to sample too much of her cooking.  This recipe is from Cannelle et Vanille and Victoria has made this a couple of times already, so I trusted her.  Watermelon in savory dishes has always intrigued me.  This is the perfect summer appetizer, the normal tomato gazpacho just doesn't cut it when it's this hot.  This slightly sweet and fresh chilled soup is wonderful and takes 5 minutes to make.  Use the recipe as a guidance, I adapted the recipe a bit, added more tomatoes and a bit more almond flour. 

Adapted from Cannelle et Vanille
Serves 3-4

Ingredients
300g seedless watermelon
6 large cherry tomatoes
¼ diced small red onion
4 tbsp almond four
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp fresh ricotta
almond slices, for garnish

Method

Put all the ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth. Season with salt and chill in the fridge for a bit if you want it to be colder, and then top with almond slices.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner