Monday 30 June 2014

Blueberry Hazelnut Bars

Ok so you know in my last post I talked about graduation and leaving university and all those excuses for not updating for the past month - well I'm going to have to talk about that again because I made these for the last meal I had people over for.  It was a rainbow themed potluck where I assigned everyone a color and so there were green salads, sauteed carrots, tomato pasta etc etc.  It was awhile ago so I actually don't remember everything i made, but I remember these and they were soo good.  I know it seems like I say this about everything I cook, and it's obnoxious, but I honestly only say it when it's exceptional (ok I see why my dad thinks I'm arrogant). The original recipe was from BBC GoodFood, and it was a raspberry coconut almond thing, but I like blueberries and hazelnuts.  This is making me miss Scotland because the berries are just not as good here in Italy in the summer *sigh*. 
So I wanted to go back to graduation because I can't believe I didn't include this picture.
I went to The Kitchin for my graduation lunch and oh yea, that's a note from the man himself, what a sweetie. 
It's weird, that was a few days ago, and now I'm in Italy.  Graduated.  Finished with St Andrews.  Ahhhh...ok. Blueberry hazelnut bars.  Simple and indulgent and a great way to make people like you. 
Recipe adapted from BBC GoodFood
Makes about 24 small slices
Ingredients
250 self-raising flour
70g hazelnuts
200g butter, diced
200g caster sugar
50g brown sugar
2 medium eggs
400g fresh or frozen blueberries

Method
Preheat oven to 180C and butter a rectangular cake tin. 

Toast the hazelnuts, skin them and put 50g in a food processor to grind until fine, and roughly chop the remaining 20g.  Keep them separate and put them aside.

Tip the flour, ground hazelnuts, butter and sugars into a food processor and whizz until the butter is evenly distributed - or rub by hand. 

Remove 85g of the mix, stir in the chopped hazelnuts and put to one side.   With the rest of the mixture, stir in the eggs, don't worry, it doesn't need to be smooth.

Spread this mixture over the base of the cake tin, scatter over 1/3 of the blueberries over the top.  Sprinkle with the chopped hazelnut mixture and bake for 45 minutes.  Dot the remaining fruit over the surface and cook for a further 15 minutes, until firm to the touch.  Cool in the tin and cut into slices.  They keep up to two days in the fridge. 






1 comment:

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner