Wednesday 3 September 2014

Summer Chili

Okay I don't know if this constitutes as a chili.  I was going to call it Summer Beans but it's not as exciting and it implies salad.  Didn't want to call it a stew because...it was so quick and..it's not saucy enough to be a stew.  I wanted to call it Bejeweled Beans but I think "bejeweled" entails nuts and dried fruits.  Look at the colors though, doesn't the word "bejeweled" spring to mind?  Look at the beautiful warm colors, all the different shades of red and orange, it's like happiness in a bowl.  Anyway, after much contemplation, I decided to name this Summer Chili.  It's got beans and peppers and chili-like spices.  And it's served with rice. 
I love rice and beans as it's so cheap and healthy -- this costs less than £2 per head! It's also filled with proteins and vegetables that will keep you full and energized and at the same time this should also be at least 3 of your 5-a-days, right, NHS?

It was apt for a beautiful delayed summer day in Scotland.  Tomorrow I leave this place for good.  Scotland, it's been fun, we've had some good times, but let's be honest, your climate is just not suited for my Mediterranean skin and blood.  I've spent the last four years here looking like a pale piece of mozzarella when I really should be a nice golden piece of fried cheese.  But of course there were some positive things, like I do love coats and you've allowed me to wear coats all year round.  I've also been a lot more laxed about shaving my legs because it's not like they'll ever go bare here.   You've also made me really appreciate good weather a lot more, so now whenever it's sunny or not windy as f*ck or not freezing cold, I'm in a good mood.  If all three then I'm ecstatic.

Here's my friends and I on one of the nicer days in Edinburgh this past week.  Look how sunny but note that we're all wearing coats and sweaters.  August in Edinburgh.  Yea, it's time to leave. 
Now, next stop, London, which is already tropical in comparison.  I'm slowly migrating South, maybe one day I'll go back to Southern Italy or even somewhere actually tropical.  One can dream.

Serves 2
Ingredients
1 onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 medium carrot, diced
1 red pepper, diced
1 can butter beans
1 can kidney beans
1/2 tbsp tomato puree
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp paprika
1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
juice of 1 lime plus wedges for garnish
a bunch coriander, chopped
cooked rice, to serve

Method
Heat some olive oil in a pot over medium high heat.  Add the onion and garlic and fry until fragrant.  Add the carrot and red pepper and fry until softened, about 10 minutes - adding water when it gets dry. 

Add the cumin seeds, oregano and paprika and fry for two minutes.  Stir in the tomato puree and soy sauce and fry for a couple of minutes.  Add the butter beans, kidney beans and half a cup of water and turn the heat down.  Cook for a further 10-15 minutes.  Adjust seasoning, add the lime juice and serve with lime wedges, fresh coriander and rice. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner