Sunday 7 December 2014

Orange Pumpkin Seed Nougatine

Sugar can be scary. We have this one teacher in culinary school who often recounts these traumatizing stories involving hot caramel and skin and bones and scars.  In this recipe the sugar goes up to 158C -- yes, that's a light caramel that will burn through your skin to your bones and have you scarred for life but you know what, just be careful  because you have to play with sugar, it's just the most fascinating ingredient.  It's amazing how its properties change when heated up to different temperatures and then all the things you can do with it.  Just be careful, though. 
Anyway.  I'm finally done with exams and I'm finally done with my first semester at culinary school.  I am now on holiday and I can finally cook for fun again.  That's the first thing I did after my last exam (which was a practical involving eclairs) -- I came home to make a lovely lunch for myself with sea bass and cauliflower (will post soon).   Then I made these little treats.  They're great as gifts if you wrap them up in one of those little plastic bags and tie it up with a ribbon -- it is Christmas and the season of giving, so... you're welcome for this idea.
 Recipe adapted from Made in Sicily
Makes a gigantic slab enough for lots of people
Ingredients
zest of 3 oranges
350g sugar
350g honey
240g pumpkin seeds
50g sesame seeds

Method
Lay two large pieces of grease proof paper on a tray.  
Dry toast the pumpkin seeds and sesame seeds in a pan until popping.  Put the sugar, honey, orange zest and cinnamon in a pan over medium heat.  Stir continuously for 5-10 minutes.  Add the seeds and cook until it reaches 158C.  Pour on one sheet of greaseproof paper and lay the other one on top.  Flatten to 0.5-1cm.  Use a rolling pin as it will be hot.  Cool then break into pieces.

Will keep for a week in an airtight container. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner