Monday 30 April 2012

Parsnip and Orange Pie with Granola Crust

So this was my thought process:  pumpkin pies -- I love pumpkin pies but I wanted to make it with something different. Another similar root vegetable perhaps, oh carrots! There are carrot cakes, carrot desserts, it would work beautifully in a pie.  Mmm I love carrots roasted with parsnips, you know what, in fact, parsnips are even sweeter than carrots.  Parsnips in a dessert? So I googled, and you know what, I wasn't the only one, there have been other parsnip pies.
Ah then came another vision.  Now I wanted to make it healthy..er. I've been eating nutella and jam and peanut butter out of the jar (I'm not exactly at a high point in my life at the moment), so I felt the need to make the pie slightly healthier.  So instead of the normal buttery shortcrust I decided to make a crust with oats and honey and dried fruits and then I realized -- that's basically the composition of a granola bar! So I whizzed some up in the food processor, added some more oats and honey to adjust the consistency and let me tell you, it was delicious.
So parsnips in a dessert.  I have to say, when you first have it, it's not..amazing.  It's not bad.  It's interesting.  It can be overwhelmingly parsnipy. But. I swear, the more you have it, the better it gets.  The particular taste does grow on you.  And the crust, oh I just loved the crust.

Ingredients
Pie filling
2 cups cooked and mashed parsnips
zest of 1 orange
juice of 1 orange
1 cup of greek yoghurt
1 cup of cream cheese
1/3 cup maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs

Crust
granola bars
oats
honey

Method
Preheat oven at 180C.

Make the crust by whizzing up granola bars.  All granola bars are different, so add some more oats or honey to get the perfect consistency.  It should just hold together as a dough.  Line a pie dish with greaseproof paper and press the granola mixture down.

Make the filling by putting all the ingredients in a food processor -- have it silky smooth.  Put in pie dish on top of the granola crust and bake for 40 minutes.  

1 comment:

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner