Tuesday 15 October 2013

Spiced Beetroot and Coconut Rice

Going into my Indian friend's house is the most thrilling experience for my olfactory system.  There is apparently a misconception that Indian households reek of curry -- no, no, Saanya's flat is heavenly.   It's not a greasy unhealthy smell, it smells of the most beautiful concoction of spices.

Have you seen an Indian household's spice rack?  Saanya's was actually a bit special.  See, Saanya loves nutella.  Can you imagine how many different spices an Indian household has?  Can you imagine all of them stored in nutella jars?  It's an impressive collection. 

So staying at Saanya's house was pretty awesome.  Her mother made me this coconut beetroot dish that I fell in love with.  I tried searching it online and somehow ended up with this beetroot rice dish and I added coconut to it and it's not bad at all.  I added grated coconut but try it with some shredded coconut or coconut chips.

I've made this twice.  First time was better, second time I just winged it with the spices and..well, the balance wasn't right. 


Oh and funny thing.  See, I had gotten a new cooking ring..mold..thing.  The one that makes me do pretty plating like this.  Well, I had gotten it at a charity shop and accidentally knocked over 3 wine glasses... Pretty bad at a charity shop... And on that note, okay, it's 23:00 and I'm absolutely exhausted, I should sleep.  I was exhausted two hours ago.  Last night was the first night in..a very very long time that I went to bed after midnight.  Yes, I'm only 20, but i think it's because it's my senior year in university and I feel old and exhausted. 

Hope you try to make this at one point.  Good stuff.

Recipe adapted from Amina Creations
Serves 4

Ingredients
2 cups rice washed and rinsed
4 cups water
1 large beetroot finely chopped (the smaller the better)
1 onion sliced
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
3 to 4 tbsp oil
2 cardamom pods
1 cinnamon stick
1 ½ tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp garam masala powder
1 ½ tsp salt (or to taste)
2 tbsp grated coconut

Method
Heat oil in a pot; add cardamom, cinnamon and onions and sauté until onions turn golden. Then add ginger garlic paste, and saute till the raw smell goes.

Next add red chilli powder, garam masala and salt. Mix well and cook till oil starts separating.

Add the chopped beetroot, mix and cook for about 2 minutes.

Add the rice to the pot, stir for a minute, then add water, close the lid, turn the heat down and leave to cook for about 10 minutes or until all the water's been absorbed.  Stir in coconut and serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner