Sunday 3 November 2013

Tawny Port Cake

It was a long day.  I came home at around midnight from the library and decided to make cake.  That is how I relax.  I put on my apron, turned on the oven, grabbed the butter and eggs out of the fridge, opened my cupboard, and pondered.  Then I saw the bottle of tawny port I had laying around, and settled on that.  I had found a recipe for a sherry cake awhile back.  It was in a Delicious Magazine, and I sneakily took a photo of that page in the store.  Gotta love smart phones.  I have so many shots of recipes from cookbooks in book stores.  I mean, sometimes I really just like 2 or 3 recipes from a cookbook.  No need to spend so much $$$ on it.  I just pretend I'm texting.

This cake is so incredibly moist.  Some people are very uncomfortable with that word but that's the best way to describe this cake.  I don't know if it's the port that makes it so.  Also, you can definitely taste the port and it's just delicious.


As usual, I cut it up and distributed it.  I even gave a piece to my Economics professor.  Maybe with any other student, it would've seemed like bribery, but honestly, I just like to give everyone cake.   



Recipe adapted from Delicious Magazine
Ingredients
125g butter, softened
200g flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp baking powder
125g sugar
1tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
200ml tawny port

Method
Preheat the oven to 180C.  Grease and line a 23cm round cake tin, then dust with flour.

Beat together the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy.  beat in the eggs, one by one.

In a separate bowl, mix the flour, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder together. 

Fold in half the dry ingredients with the egg-butter mixture. Then add the port and fold in along with the remaining flour. 

Pour into cake tin and bake for 35-45 minutes. 

Dust with icing sugar when cooled. 

2 comments:

  1. That's a beautiful recipe, Maria! Admittedly I had to adapt it a little according to the ingredients I had in my cupboard - SR flour, and brown sugar instead of white - but it came out perfectly. Thanks! ~ Katharine of Adelaide, Australia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm so glad, Katharine! The brown sugar must've made it even softer! Thank you for your comment :)

      Delete

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner