Friday 29 August 2014

Breakfast Lentil Porridge with Apples and Lime

So about every two months I go vegan for one to two weeks.  It's like my inner guilty Italian catholic forces regular lent upon me.  Some people think it's to lose weight, but really, I just sort of overload on carbs most of the time.  When we're at a pub and people order cheesy nachos and burgers, what can I eat?  Chips.  Crisps.  Maybe a burger bun.  It's not too healthy really.  It really is more of a discipline thing as usually I just devour anything in front of me, now I only devour it if it's vegan.  I've been eating a lot of plain bread and rice.
I like to eat eggs and porridge for breakfast, and as I cannot have the former, ran out of the latter and have a bag of red split lentils to use up before I leave Edinburgh next week -- lentils for breakfast seemed logical.

Why not, right?  This was absolutely delicious and very nutritious.  Also, with red split lentils they cook quickly, you don't have to soak them or simmer them for half an hour. 

Bah, I'm halfway through this vegan thing pretty much, end of next week I'll go back to eating everything again.  But I will still be having his lentil porridge for breakfast every now and a then because it's fantastic, guys.

Serves 1
Ingredients
1/3 cup dry red split lentils
1/2 cup milk of choice
1/2 apple, shredded
1/2 lime, zest and juice
1/4 tsp cinnamon

Method
Was the lentils thoroughly. Put in a pot and cover with the milk, 1/2 cup of water and the apple.  Bring to a boil, then turn the heat down, add a pinch of salt and let it simmer for about 10 minutes or until it's cooked.  Add some lime juice and zest along with the cinnamon and check if you need to add some sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner