Wednesday 6 August 2014

Cauliflower and Caraway Soup

Today I had a sandwich with rye and caraway seed bread and my god, unexpectedly, I rekindled my relationship with caraway seeds.
Surprisingly, caraway seeds were perfect with the egg salad filling.  Let's be honest, egg salad can be a bit boring without some herbs or spices. I had always just paired it with chopped chives, but caraway seeds are waay better than chives as a match for the humble and plain egg salad.

So I spent most of the day thinking about what I should make with caraway seeds.  And as I'm currently in Scotland, a place that never quite understands what "summer" entails, a warming soup was what I was craving for. 

This is my first summer in Edinburgh and... I should've known.  

I had been looking forward to it while I was in Italy.  I had imagined these long days with plenty of light and sunshine, perhaps slightly chilly, but pleasant with a light cardigan.  Everything's green and blue and colorful and most importantly the city is buzzing with life and music because of the Fringe festival. 

Then I came over here, and what the f*ck?  It's not pleasantly chilly it's just f*cking cold.  It's not colorful it's just f*cking gray.  And it's not just "buzzing" with life, it's just f*cking overwhelming.
But it's only the second day that I'm here and I shouldn't be grumpy, you're right.  Let's just enjoy this recipe.
Recipe adapted from here 
Serves 4 as an appetizer
Ingredients
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 tsp caraway seeds
1 medium head of cauliflower, cut into small florets
500ml vegetable stock
extra virgin olive oil
200ml milk (more or less)
Croutons (make your own by tossing stale bread pieces with olive oil and toasting them in the oven)

Method

Fry the onion and caraway seeds in a bit of olive oil on medium heat until softened.

Add the cauliflower and vegetable stock and turn the heat up.  When it comes to the boil, turn the heat down to low, cover and let simmer for about 15-20 minutes or until cauliflowers have softened.  

Blitz until smooth in a food processor or blender.  Add a dash of milk or enough to your liking, season and serve with croutons and a drizzle of your best olive oil. 

3 comments:

  1. Love this simple soup, and caraway in egg salad? - YUM Your weather comments made me lol, into my coffee! Hang in there, you are dealing with it in the best possible way, by making soup!! ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha thank you, that's my aim, to try to entertain with my posts :D

      Delete
  2. I’m on the Isle of Skye -also chilly and had this soup at a local cafe it was amazing so I’m going to make some to keep me warm x

    ReplyDelete

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner