Saturday 19 March 2016

Dark Chocolate and Ginger Wholewheat Scones

I hadn't made scones in awhile.  There was a point where I was making scones constantly -- it was the best discovery I had made in this country.  See, prior to coming to the UK, my exposure to scones were limited to those Beijing Starbucks triangular scones with a cloyingly sweet drizzle on top.  They were so flat and stodgy and just too sweet. I didn't think I liked scones.

I feel incredibly productive this morning.  I made scones, I made lunch for my flatmate and this is now my second blog post of the day.  Hey I may even make crackers after this - I think I've finally found the cracker recipe. I love crackers but have failed to find a recipe satisfy me as much as the ones my boyfriend brings me from Norway.  But I think, okay, this will be a third try, I think these are it.  But I digress, let's talk about these scones. 
Now, I think the key to this goodness is to chop up the candied ginger and chocolate as finely as you can, so every mouthful is filled with ginger and chocolate - it's evenly distributed, not just a chunk of surprise here and there.  And I'm never for jam with scones, at most some butter or clotted cream, but not jam when it's a flavored scone.


Makes 8-10 scones
Ingredients
200g wholewheat flour
250g plain flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp baking powder
80g sugar
250ml milk, chilled
100g butter, cold, cubed
1/3 cup candied ginger - very finely chopped
1/3 cup dark chocolate - finely chopped

Method
Preheat oven to 225C.

Mix the flours, baking powder and salt together.  Add the butter and rub with your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.

Stir in the sugar, milk, candied ginger and dark chocolate.  Mix until just combined

Turn out onto a flour surface, pat it together and down it down to 2cm thick.  Using large cookie cutters, cut out scones, pull the scraps together, pat it down to 2cm thick again and repeat.  You should make about 8-10. 

Place on a lined baking sheet and bake for about 12-15 minutes or until golden brown on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner