Thursday 9 April 2015

Persian Courgette Frittata (Kuku Kadoo)

Weekday brunches are just a pure luxury.  I'm currently on holiday and my days have been made up of job-applications and too many coffee breaks in the sun.  Yesterday, after lying awake in bed for a good couple of hours until it was a reasonable time for the holidays, I got up and spent a a significant part of the morning making brunch.  That's what holidays should be about, right?  Waking up each day with too much time on your hands and not enough to do.
Eggs are great for breakfast - this is a a frittata with a luxurious make-over. It's got ginger, garlic and a ridiculous amount of onion -- it was a lot of emotional chopping at 9 in the morning.
I followed the recipe from Saveur, but personally, not being from that part of the world and and not knowing the authenticity of this dish - I think it needed more ginger and less onion.  All those onions stewed down to something so incredibly lovely and sweet but...perhaps slightly too sweet to my personal taste.  I've also heard of recipes with mint added -- mmm.  And also other spices.  This was quite one-dimensional with the spices, other than the basic ginger-garlic mix, it had some turmeric and that was it.  But so basically the recipe I have below is with my personal adjustments - please go ahead to their site for the original recipe if you don't trust me.

Tomorrow I'm going to make some poached eggs with miso hollandaise if all goes well. Maybe I'll make some muffins.  Maybe I'll start a sourdough.  Maybe I'll make myself a nice morning cocktail.  Oh look at all the things one can do in the morning when not rushed. 

Recipe adapted from Saveur
Serves 6
Ingredients
1 tsp minced fresh ginger
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 large onions, finely chopped
5 courgettes, medium-sized, cut in half and cut into 1cm slices
1 tsp ground turmeric
2 tbsp flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
7 eggs, beaten
chopped parsley for garnish

Method
Preheat oven to 200C.  Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a pan and add the ginger, garlic and onions.  Fry over low heat for five minutes until softened.

Add the courgettes and turmeric and cook until softened -- 12-15 minutes.  Stir in flour, baking powder and let cool.

Grease a 9x13" casserole dish (or a large oven-proof pan).  Mix the eggs with the courgette mixture and pour into the baking vessel. Bake until set - about 25 minutes, then garnish with parsley.







No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner