Tuesday 7 April 2015

Tofu with Peppers and Spicy Oyster Sauce

As I write about this tofu dish, all I can think about is meat.  I have been very good these last few weeks in avoiding meat for a variety of reasons and right now all I want is something bloody and preferably with bones attached -- like a proper steak or a roast.  That's all my carnivorous side craves for at the moment. 
BUT.  Everyone should reduce their meat consumption, as we all know.  I try to limit it to once a week when it comes to red meat, so here's another one of those meatless recipes for you, and tomorrow I'm going to the butcher's.

From one carnivore to another, I have to tell you, I love this.  Tofu can be really rich and satisfying if accompanied by strong flavors because it's a sponge.  I got a £5 off voucher if I spent £25 at Wholefoods and so I bought like 5 packs of tofu -- that's pretty much all I buy at Wholefoods.  I'd love to work at Wholefoods just to get the staff discount.  I'm currently job hunting and I don't really know what to look for but discount on good organic food items sounds amazing.  I'm easily pleased. I'm getting really desperate now -- it's like being one of those desperate single girls that continues to lower her standards for men because of lack of hope. 

 But okay, that's a depressing thought.  Happier thought -- I've been told that I'm Square Meal's blogger of the week! Look at the badge on the right hand side?  That made my day.

Recipe adapted from Food and Wine
Serves 4 as a starter
Ingredients
400g tofu
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 thai green chili
1 red pepper, deseeded and sliced (0.5-1cm)
1/4 cup oyster sauce
1 1/2 tbsp mirin
1/4 cup water

Method
Cut the tofu into 1cm slices and pat dry with kitchen towel.

In a pan with a few tbsp of vegetable oil, shallow fry the tofu on medium-high heat  until golden on both sides and drain on kitchen paper.

In the same pan, turn the heat down and add the garlic and chili and fry for a few minutes until fragrant.  Add the pepper, oyster sauce, water and mirin, turn the heat up and cover with lid to cook for a few minutes until the pepper softens.  Add t

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner