Friday 11 September 2015

Rustic Milk Cookies (Biscotti al Latte)

It's approaching midnight and I'm contemplating what I should have for breakfast tomorrow.  If I were like my Italian peers, I'd have cookies and coffee.  But I'm difficult.  See, these would be the ideal breakfast cookies for Italians, especially the children, because of their simplicity.  They're uncomplicated in terms of flavor, texture and aesthetics, but they're perfectly lovely.  Plain but soft, light and delicate. Very Italian. It's what the kids would eat.  Or my mother, she loves them.
However, as aforementioned, I cannot start the day with cookies and coffee, so I still don't know.  Maybe a sandwich. Maybe I'll treat myself to a nice solo breakfast at a restaurant with some luxurious pancakes.  And then I'll have some of these cookies as snacks.

Recipe adapted from Pour Femme
Ingredients
500g flour
200g sugar
125g butter, melted and chilled
125ml milk
2 eggs, beaten
8g baking powder
1 egg yolk beaten with a few drops of water for egg wash.
Granulated sugar for sprinkling

Method
In a large bowl mix together the flour, sugar and baking powder.  Incorporate the milk and the melted butter in.  Then finally mix in the eggs.  Cover in cling film and leave to chill in the fridge for an hour.

Preheat oven to 180C.  These are rustic cookies, so feel free to do what you want in terms of shapes.  Make balls, sticks, whatever you want.  The dough will be very sticky. 

Arrange your cookies on a lined baking sheet, well spaced apart as they will expand.  Brush the tops with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar.  Cook for 10-13 minutes or until golden.  They may be soft, but they will harden as they cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner