Wednesday 5 June 2013

Broccoli with Tahini


Hello! So I’m currently in a small newly furnished apartment by myself in Berlin for an internship. Two months and so I’m faced with a dilemma. As it’s newly furnished, the kitchen is very… empty. Depressingly so. The flat came with two pots, two chopping boards, a pan, 4 large plates, 4 small plates, 4 soup plates, a large bowl, a small bowl and your basic utensils. Now, I’m going to be here for two months, so what kitchen equipment do I buy? I’ve been chopping with my knife and it’s been difficult. It’s like delegating the chopping to a 4-year-old. It takes half a day, the end product looks disappointing, and you leave that poor child with cuts all over her hands. I’ve got 3 band-aids just on my left hand.  I’ll probably invest in a proper knife, and by “proper” I mean something of 5 euros. I probably need a wooden spoon.   I’ve been stirring on my non-stick pan with a metal soup spoon.

And I like a fully stocked cupboard. Should I invest in any spices? Oh I have such a well-stocked cupboard as a student, you have no idea. As of condiments and staples and such, so far I have yellow mustard, tahini, honey, olive oil, spelt berries and oats. How much more should I buy? Two months… Hmm.



So this is what I made with the little that I have. Sauteed broccoli with a delicious tahini sauce. This is an adaption from that of Ottolenghi’s.

It was excruciatingly difficult to mince that garlic with a knife.


Adapted from here
serves 1-2 as a side
Ingredients
1 small head of broccoli
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tbsp tahini
½ tbsp. greek yoghurt
½ tsp honey, or to taste
lemon juice, to taste
salt, to taste

Method
Cut the broccoli into florets. Heat a bit of olive oil in a pan and when hot, add the minced garlic. When fragrant, add the broccoli. Sautee for a couple of minutes, adding some water to the pan if needed. Just a couple of minutes, it should still be bright green and retain that wonderful crunch.

Make the sauce by whisking the rest of the ingredients together. Take the measurements with a grain of salt and adjust to your liking.  Add some water, bit by bit, until you reach your desired consistency.  Pour over broccoli. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner