Friday 25 November 2011

Butternut Squash Filo Triangles with Caramelized Onions and Goat's Cheese

I know, the title is long but I wanted to let you know everything that's inside. If I just called it Butternut Squash Filo Triangles, it doesn't sound nearly as exciting as when I have the words "caramelized onions" and "goat's cheese" in it. I was even thinking of putting "hazelnuts" in the title but that may have been excessive. Yes, there are hazelnuts inside (you can omit it if you're allergic or something but it adds a nice flavor and crunch to it).

I made these for a dinner party and they're quite easy to make. Oh and happy belated thanksgiving guys! I'm not American but I'm having a belated Thanksgiving dinner feast tonight. I'm not having anything to do with it, I'm leaving it to the Americans, I don't think non-Americans should be involved. I attempted to make these.."buttermilk biscuits" this morning and..well, I will blog about it soon. I think I'll just bring wine. Wine and bread. Or maybe savory scones..? They're practically the same right?

Anyway, these are what I make for dinner parties when I'm allowed to contribute.

Prep time: 45 min Cook time: 20 min Serves: 8-12 Suitable for: dinner parties and such

Ingredients 
2 medium onions
1 medium butternut squash
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp brown sugar
2tbsp honey
1 cup hazelnuts, roughly chopped
125g goat's cheese
a generous grating of parmesan
salt
1/4tsp nutmeg
Filo pastry

Method
Peel and cube the butternut squash. Toss in olive oil and salt and bake at 180C for about 30 minutes or until tender. While the squash is roasting, thinly slice the onions and fry them in a pan with the brown sugar over medium high heat for about twenty minutes until caramelized. Then add the balsamic vinegar and fry until it has evaporated. Lastly, add the honey and mix well. When the squash is done, add that into the onion mixture and mash it with a fork until full incorporated into the mixture. Add the hazelnuts, goat's cheese, parmesan, nutmeg and season. Make sure it's all mixed well.

Cut the filo pastry into long strips and brush with oil.
 Put the squash mixture at the top of each strip and fold over to form triangle parcels.

Brush with oil, or in fact you could even do an egg wash, I probably should have. Just beat an egg and mix in a bit of water, brush that over the triangles to have a beautiful golden crust.
Spread them on a baking sheet and bake at 180C for about 20 minutes :)





Variations
You can put whatever filling you want in these triangles. Alternatively, you can put this filling into anything you want too! Put them in ravioli or in pastry shells. Oh you could make a dipping sauce for these. People say a dipping sauce would've been nice with these but I actually liked them plain, i think they were very flavorful, I can't think of a dipping sauce that would go with them at the moment....

1 comment:

  1. I can attest to the fact that these were absolutely delicious! Sincerely one of my favorite things you've made, Maria, and that's saying something with how much I love everything you make. :)

    Maybe, for a dipping sauce... a simple sweet chili sauce? It could be delicious!

    ReplyDelete

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner