Saturday, 12 May 2012

Mushrooms with Cointreau and Rosemary

I try not to eat meat that much.  Maybe it's because I grew up with a vegetarian sister -- there's often a hint of guilt lingering in my stomach after meat consumption.  It's awful but I love my steak and prosciutto and cows and piglets at the same time.  While I cannot give up these things forever, I can manage to get my protein elsewhere most of the time.  Perhaps as a university student it's easier because I tell myself that meat is expensive and so I overload on eggs and beans.  Anyway, it's not difficult.  I love mushrooms and aubergines because they're.."meaty" vegetables -- you know with the texture and the bold flavors..
So mushrooms - rosemary - orange.  It's quite a good combination.  I wanted to just sautee my mushrooms with some white wine, but I saw some cointereau and thought why not.  It's a lovely combination of sweet and savory and deep earthiness coming from both the mushrooms and the rosemary.  The orange really gives it that kick.

Ingredients
6 large button mushrooms
1 rosemary sprig
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp olive oil
juice and zest of 1/2 an orange
1 1/2 tbsp cointreau

Method
Toss the mushrooms in oil, garlic, zest of orange and rosemary.  Heat a pan until it's smoking hot and add all the ingredients.  Cover and let cook for about 5-10 minutes before adding the orange juice and cointreau and stirring it around for a couple of more minutes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner