Monday 7 January 2013

How to: Poached Eggs

How do you like your eggs?  I normally like my eggs perfectly scrambled or hard boiled for breakfast, but a perfectly poached egg is something truly magnificent.  Watching its  golden yolk split and mingle with the hollandaise sauce is such a treat. It's just so pretty.  It's much more aesthetically pleasing than eggs in any other form.
  I made this for my sister and her husband for breakfast tofay.  Recipe of that will come up soon but I thought I had better first start with a poached egg tutorial because it took me awhile to get right.

 You know how I used to poach eggs?  My friend taught me a clever trick - line a bowl with cling film and crack and egg into it.  Use your hands to then twist it shut.  Put this little pouch in a pot of simmering water and in 2 minutes you've got yourself some perfectly poached eggs.  Yes, perfectly poached eggs every time even for the simplest of minds but you end up with this wrinkled white mass that looks like a badly made dumpling that was too ugly to be a part of a dim sum ensemble.

So then I began doing research and after much trial and error, this is the way that works for me.  Some suggest different methods such as actually whisking the water into a fast whirl.  I like to be gentle with my food. 

Ingredients
Fresh eggs
Vinegar
Water


Method
Heat a medium pot of water to a simmer, it should have bubbles forming at the bottom of the pan but they shouldn't rise to a rolling boil.  Put in about 1/2 tbsp of vinegar.  Then turn the heat down.

Crack your egg into a bowl first. 

Using a spoon or another instrument, stir gently until you create a whirlpool in the water, then slide the egg in.  Use your spoon to keep the water moving and help nudge the egg whites in to ensure that they encase the egg yolk. 

When the egg white is cooked, in about 2 minutes, take your poached egg out using a slotted spoon and set it aside on kitchen paper to drain for a minute or two.  Serve. 

2 comments:

  1. This is going to branch out my egg cooking to new heights! I've been experimenting with dozens of different ways to have my eggs... now I can try poached! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good! Plus poached eggs are amazing.

    ReplyDelete

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner