Monday 15 July 2013

Feta-Tahini Green Beans


I’ve never disliked my greens. Growing up, I was used to simply blanched or sautéed vegetables seasoned with some garlic, olive oil and lemon juice. Or often my Chinese mother would steam vegetables and just add a drizzling of sesame oil and salt – and it’s delicious. There was no need of hiding spinach in pies and forcefully accompanying it with strong flavors to mask that of its own. I was an easy child on the dinner table. I remember not liking peppers and mangoes (both of which I love now), but in general, just like now, I would eat everything you put in front of me. The only problem I had was, after dinner, I had to sleep. It didn’t matter if we were in a restaurant or a guest’s home, I had to sleep. And I couldn’t just fall asleep on the table, no, I required a couple of chairs pushed up together so I could lie down and sleep properly. I made the biggest scenes if I couldn’t sleep -- if arrangements could not be made for me to lie down and rest....At least I ate everything. 

Here’s a simple dressing you could do with your greens. Steam or blanch them, and dress them with a mixture of tahini, feta cheese and olive oil. These were actually the only condiments I had and what a beautiful discovery.


Sorry for the lack of precision in the recipe - just taste as you go along. 

Ingredients
Green beans, ends trimmed
Feta cheese
Olive oil
Tahini

Method
Blanch your green beans in salted boiling water until tender crisp.

In a bowl, crumble the feta cheese using a fork and slowly mix in the tahini and olive oil, tasting as you go along, until it reaches your desired state.  Toss with green beans and serve.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner