I saw this list of happy facts and picked out my favorites to share with you. I don't know if they're all true, but I hope they make you smile.
1. A group of flamingos is called a flamboyance.
2. If you fake laugh long enough you’ll start to really laugh, really, really hard.
3. Every year, millions of trees grow thanks to squirrels forgetting where they buried their nuts.
4. The Beatles used the word “love” 613 times throughout their career.
5. The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our
blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of
collapsing stars. We’re all made of star dust.
6. Cancer death rates are down 20% in past 20 years.
7. Penguins only have one mate their entire life and “propose” by giving their mate a pebble.
8. Cows have best friends.
9. Cuddling releases Oxytocin which helps speed healing and recovery from physical wounds.
10. Otters hold hands when sleeping so they don’t drift away from each other.
11. Apollo 17 astronaut Gene Cernan, the last man to walk on the
Moon, wrote his daughter initials there. They’ll last at least 50,000
12. There’s a type of jellyfish that lives forever.
13. Wayne Allwine (the voice of Mickey Mouse) and Russi Taylor (the voice of Minnie Mouse) were married in real life.
14. For someone, somewhere in the world, today is the most amazing day of their life.
15. Every year the Netherlands sends 20,000 tulip bulbs to Canada to thank them for their aid in the Second World War.
16. Rats giggle when you tickle them. Their voices are so
high-pitched you need special equipment to hear them, but when you do,
their laughs are immediately evident.
17. Sea horses mate for life, are completely faithful and travel together by holding on to each others tails.
18. If you say “my cocaine” you sound like Michael Caine saying his own name.
19. Male puppies, when playing with female puppies, will intentionally let the female win.
20.The kingdom of Bhutan use ‘gross national happiness’ as a key national indicator.
21. No matter how long you live there will always be an amazing new food for you try.
22. A group of porcupines is called a prickle.
23. There’s an animal called a Dik Dik. And it’s the cutest antelope you’ll ever see.
24. Neurologically speaking, seeing somebody else smile actually makes you happier.
25. Spinner dolphins sleep in pairs, one with the left hemisphere
asleep, the other with the right. They each keep watch with one eye and
half a brain. They are known to sleep-mate for life.
26. Baby puffins are called pufflings.
28. Costa Rica is statistically the happiest nation on Earth.
29. Worms communicate by snuggling.
and finally, 30: this coffee cake is easy and quick to make.
Hope you're happier now :) And you'll be even happier if you make this for breakfast tomorrow!
Recipe adapted from BBC GoodFood
140g butter, softened
3 large eggs
140g self-raising flour
2 tbsp espresso
Heat oven to 170C. Grease and line a loaf tin.
Beat the sugar with the butter until light and creamy. Beat in the eggs, one by one, adding 1 tbsp flour at the same time. Beat in the rest of the flour along with the espresso. Pour the batter into the tin and bake for 20-30 minutes, or until it passes the toothpick test (you insert a toothpick or a knife into the cake and if it comes out clean, it's done).