Monday 22 April 2013

Aubergine and Tomato Sandwich

I discovered my passion for cooking in my first year of university.  I had always loved food, but back in high school my culinary skills extended from Betty Crocker cupcakes to sandwiches (on a side note, fun fact: Betty Crocker is actually William Crocker, he just thought Betty sounded more "homely".  True.  I wouldn't trust William Crocker's double chocolate brownies).  I didn't even really experiment with too many sandwich fillings, there was really just one that I was really proud of.  And still am.  I used to call it the Maria Sandwich.   This was for two reasons: a) yes, duh, my own invention, but also because b) it consisted of both Italian and Chinese ingredients.  It was a fusion harmony.  It had a thin layer of mayonnaise on a toasted bread, which was used also as an adhesive to the Chinese pork floss on top (if you don't know what it is, wikipedia it, it's more appetizing than it sounds).  This was aped over by a fried egg, followed by thin slices of Italian prosciutto, and a couple of sliced baby tomatoes.  Another piece of bread was then pressed on top of it and there it was.  I haven't made it in such a long time that I don't know if it's as good as I remember it, but hey, look at all the ingredients, they all seem to work together, right? 

I do love for making sandwiches.  It's nice, I like it because for me it's along the same lines as salads and stir-fries in that you just use whatever you have lying around.  Maybe not as exciting as the Maria Sandwich, but it was still pretty tasty.  This is kind of Lebanese with the aubergine and tahini, but then there's the Maria touch with the Chinese spring onions and Italian sun-dried tomatoes (which you can pickle them yourself here). 

Serves 1
Ingredients
1/2 small aubergine (cut lengthways)
1/2 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 sprig spring onion, chopped
Tahini, to taste
2 slices of sun-dried tomatoes in oil, sliced
1 small tomato on the vine, thinly sliced
sesame seeds
olive oil
Good bread


Method
Pierce the aubergine all over with a fork, wrap in tin foil and put it in the oven at 200C for 40-60 min.

Scoop the flesh out, chop and mix along with garlic and tahini.  Season lightly, be careful since the sun-dried tomatoes will be salty.  Put on toasted bread, then put on the sun-dried tomatoes and fresh tomatoes.  Drizzle with olive oil, top with some toasted sesame seed and voila. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner