Saturday 27 April 2013

Blueberry Lemon Macaruffins

What? Macaruffins?  These were so good, it was one of those shameless moments where I was just eating one after the other, complimenting myself aloud.  I was very impressed with myself.  Maybe that's why my dad thinks I'm arrogant.  You know what, my current degree, Economics and Psychology, are eating me alive, so I need to feel good about myself with something, and damn do these boost my confidence.  They're some of the best cookies I've made!

So let me explain.  I was going to make macaroons but then I felt lazy.  I felt lazy because I hate sifting.  It's the one cooking procedure I hate.  I can peel, knead, chop, whisk and stir like there's no tomorrow, but my God, I hate sifting.  Macaroons require a lot of sifting, and I wasn't feeling like it.  This is essentially a macaroon ingredient list, but instead of the complicated procedures, I just mixed everything up in a food processor.  So these, baked, then with a lovely tangy filling inside -- mmmmm. So good, so good.  I didn't know what to call them, I just wanted to call them buds of joy, bites of happiness, ecstasy cookies.  But then I think somebody said it tasted like a cross between a blueberry muffin and a macaroon so there we go, macaruffins.  I still prefer bites of happiness, I know it may sound cheesy but you just wait until you try these babies.

I'm failing Economics at the moment, so I can brag about these as much as I want. 

Ingredients
200g ground almonds
80g egg whites
180g icing sugar
1/2 cup blueberries

creme fraiche
lemon zest

Method
Preheat oven to 160C.  Line and grease a baking tray.

Put the berries in a food processor and process until smooth, then add all the other ingredients and whiz some more.

Put the batter in a piping bag and pipe small flat circles (2cm diameter) onto the lined baking tray.  Pipe them all 1 inch apart from each other. 

Bake for 10-20 minutes or until the cookies are crisp and firm.

Leave the cookies to cool.

Mix creme fraiche with as much lemon zest as you want - some people prefer it really sharp, like me, but some prefer a softer note of the lemon.

Take a cookie, spoon a bit of the creme fraiche filling onto it and place another cookie on top.  Repeat with the rest. 

2 comments:

  1. These look so good - do you get the egg whites just as egg whites (eg in a carton), or do you just separate eggs? I've looked for egg whites but can't seem to find them here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hellooo, no I just got normal eggs and separated them!

      Delete

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner