Tuesday 6 November 2012

Breakfast PB Chia Seed Pudding

I had always wanted to buy chia seeds.  They're really healthy and they're always found in a lot of vegan recipes as an egg replacement.  I mean, "in terms of nutritional content, a tablespoon of chia is like a smoothie made from salmon, spinach and human growth hormone" says this guy on the bbc
Of course, I had always thought that they were a bit out of my food budget, being 12 pounds per bag, so I never saved any of those healthy chia seed recipes as I thought I'd never get chia seeds.  Then I went to this health store with the friendliest people.  This is, by the way, unpaid advertisement.  If you happen to find yourself in Edinburgh, go to Jordan Valley Wholefoods.  In addition to all the wholefoods that they have, they make amazing quinoa bars and flapjacks, amazing hummus, baba ganoush, spinach and lentil pate, and a huge array of falafels.  I had the pleasure of talking with the owner's son and another girl.  They're really nice people.  I mean people that work in such stores are usually just friendly, peaceful hippies, but these people are especially nice.  Just from chatting with them for a bit, they gave me free baba ganoush, hummus, and a super falafel (with like a bunch of nuts and pomegranate seeds).  The next day I went back, and I got free lentil pate and more hummus.  So now I feel obliged to return to bring more business to them every time I go to Edinburgh. 


Anyway.  The second day when I went back, I had already bought everything that I needed the day before, but I couldn't have just left the store without buying anything after the guy so kindly reoffered me some hummus.  I browsed through and found a small container of chia seeds, and I thought..well, why not. 

Funnily enough, I couldn't find any good recipes with chia seeds at first.  I never saved any of the good ones...but then I stumbled upon a bunch of pudding recipes with simply chia seeds mixed together with milk.  So here's my breakfast chia seed pudding with peanut butter. 


Ingredients
1/2 cup milk of choice
1 tbsp chia seeds
1 tbsp peanut butter
1 tsp sugar (optional)

Method
Mix all the ingredients in a jar or a container.  Close the lid and shake well.  Leave it in the fridge for a couple of hours or overnight, and shake it every now and then if you can, but it's not the end of the world if you forget and go to bed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner