Friday 23 November 2012

Spiced Onions, Chickpeas & Mashed Carrots

Ok, after a week of just self-loathing, this morning I woke up beaming.  I had the post-Thanksgiving glow.  Ok, when I first woke up I was feeling bloated and disgusted with myself for having eaten half a turkey last night, but then, I felt fantastic.  The sun was shining (even though it was short lasting) and everything was good.  I had just had a mini conversation with Nigel Slater on Twitter (highlight of the entire semester), my sister had sent me a whole box of cinnamint gum (which I'm addicted to), my kitchen was (and still is) clean, and everything is good. 
Nigel had tweeted about his dinner, which was essentially this, except that he had used black eyed peas instead of chickpeas.  And then I tweeted him and asked how he made it, AND HE TWEETED BACK! Bless.  And so here. Thanks for making my semester, Nigel. 
Oh and happy belated thanksgiving! 

Serves 1
Ingredients
2 small carrots, peeled and chopped into chunks
1-3 tbsp milk/cream
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 can chickpeas (about 170g), drained
1 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp ground coriander seeds
1/2 tsp chili 

Method
Peel and chop the carrots.  Steam until tender.
While the carrots are steaming, chop or slice the onions. 
Heat a bit of oil in a pan and add 1 tsp of  mustard seeds.  When they start popping, add the onions and chili and fry for 5-10 minutes, adding oil when it gets dry.
Season the onions and take them out, reserve.  In the same pan, add more oil, add 1/2 tsp of mustard seeds and the ground coriander, when they start popping add the chickpeas and just fry for a minute or two until warmed through. Season.
Put the carrots in a food processor and add the milk/cream bit by bit until it reaches your desired consistency.  Season.
Serve by placing the carrot mash on the plate first, then top it off with chickpeas and finally the onions.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner