Friday 9 November 2012

How to: The Best Scrambled Eggs [Happy Birthday Jess]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JESS!  I've talked about my lovely friend, Jess, before, and I think I've yet to mention her and her celebrations.  She loves her Thanksgivings, Christmases and Halloweens, but above all, she loves her birthdays.  She loves her birthday like a child loves her birthday.  It's adorable, it really is.  She begins reminding everyone of her birthday weeks in advance, and so obviously, for someone such as her, it's important to not disappoint when the big day comes. 

She had come over for brunch, and unfortunately I didn't take photos of any of the things I cooked.  While there were many components to the dish, today I want to focus on scrambled eggs, which is always a nice thing to have for brunch.  And I found a pretty sketch of it from Debra Morris! 
People think it's such a simple thing to make, but it's so easy to screw up.  I had worked in a pub over the summer and they made horrible scrambled eggs, the ones that taste like rubber because it's so over cooked, you know?  I follow Gordon's sublime scrambled eggs recipe, and it never disappoints.  I've cooked it for several people for breakfast, and it always amazes them.  It's so velvety, creamy and as he says, simply sublime.  It really is only three ingredients -- eggs, butter and crème fraîche.


When I first watched the recipe, I found it really strange.  I don't know how you make your scrambled eggs, but I always began by cracking them in a bowl and whisking them first.  He puts the eggs whole in the pot first and then whisks them to break them up. 

Try it out, guys, it really is the best scrambled eggs. 

Ingredients
Eggs
Butter
Crème fraîche

Method
The key is to just keep stirring.  Have a pot and a soft heat-resistant spatula ready, if not, a wooden spoon will do.  Crack your eggs into a pot, put in a generous knob of butter, and put the pot onto high heat and begin stirring. Stir to break up the eggs, and then after a bit, take it off the heat, continue to stir, then put it back on the heat, then take it off the heat and so on.  Keep stirring.  At the end when it looks to be almost cooked, take it off the heat, stir in the crème fraîche and season. 

Watch the man do it himself with the whole breakfast


1 comment:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE! The only thing I love more than my birthdays are other people's birthdays! Yours is coming up... time to plot your surprises! :P

    xoxo, Jess

    ReplyDelete

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner