Friday 24 August 2012

Chicken with Orange and Basil Sauce


It was orientation week of my first year in uni.  I had quickly made a group of friends, and one of them, Ross, was turning 18 that week. Now. That was before I really started cooking. I had gone to a couple of cooking classes that summer, and with those few recipes in my computer and a heart filled with enthusiasm, I so eagerly wanted to cook for Ross and my friends as part of a birthday present. Much of it was a blur. I don’t remember if I actually cooked the whole meal or not, I just remembered my attempt at this chicken with orange sauce. I had learned the recipe from one of the cooking classes in Rome. It was supposed to be easy and delicious – one of those sweet and savory dishes that I love. And since I witnessed the whole procedure and helped chopped onions and squeeze orange juice, I had stupidly thought that it would be a piece of cake to recreate the dish. Thinking back, perhaps my memory is deluding me to protect me, but I honestly don’t remember it being that bad. Yes, the chicken was on the raw side, but the sauce was alright. My friends remember it differently though – they said it was just orange juice poured over medium-rare chicken. All except for Ross, bless, he has never once criticized anything that I cooked, that’s why he’s my favorite. 

Anyway, I suppose that was what motivated me to learn how to cook properly – I had to prove my other friends wrong, that I could cook. It’s been two years so I thought it was time to recreate the dish. This is a slightly different recipe, I’m gonna cook it for them once I get back to uni. It was quite nice this time, I promise, guys.
Oh and another good piece of news – I think I’ve finally gotten a new photographer (potentially two), so come September, the photos will be more delicious-looking than ever. 

Ingredients

1 chicken breast
Juice of 1 orange
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1/4 cup chopped basil
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp olive oil
flour

Method
Put the chicken breast in a bowl with all the other ingredients.  Cover and let it marinate for a couple of hours or overnight.
Take the chicken out, pat it dry and coat it with flour.
Put some oil in a pan and have it heated to high.  Put the chicken in -- about a minute on each side just to brown it.
Turn down the heat, pour in the marinade, cover and let cook for about 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner