Sunday 12 August 2012

Soaked Oatmeal Pancakes

Oh finally another way to eat your porridge in the morning.  I saw this recipe last night and immediately prepared the first step.  The next morning, to my dismay, I discovered that there were no more eggs in the fridge.  It was 8:30 on Sunday.  I hate Sundays because most shops are closed on Sundays in Italy. And I hate Sundays in mid-August because most shops are closed for holidays.  Rome is especially empty in August.  Everyone's off to the beach in Tuscany, Sicily or other better places.  Good for them because Rome is too hot in August.  I really should be going elsewhere, like in Calabria, my cousin has invited me to spend ferragosto with her and her friends.  Ferragosto is on the 15th of August, it's a holiday to..I think just celebrate the summer.  It's a lot of fun, I don't remember the last time I celebrated it properly, for a long time it's just been an inconvenient day where everything's closed.  This year I've got a job though. My parents are leaving me on the 15th to go back to China, so I'll be all alone from then to early September.  Let me know if any of you drop by Rome.
Back to my morning panic, it's okay, I got dressed quickly and ran across the street to the supermarket that's open on Sunday mornings.  I stood outside pathetically as the owner told me across the glass door that they don't open until 9.  So I stood and I stood and eventually I think he felt sorry for the half-asleep disheveled girl so he let me in to buy some eggs.

You don't have to use saffron, add vanilla, cinnamon, whatever spices that give you the necessary kick in the morning.  Add some shredded fruit or something.  Tomorrow I may make the same thing again but with shredded carrots because I love carrots.  I love cooked carrots -- I mean when they're raw and crunchy they're good as well, but there's something about the soft cooked carrots that make them sweeter and better, especially when they're still warm, oh it's heaven.  I'm easily pleased as you can see. My mother knows so she steams some carrots for me every morning.  Bless.  I'm going to have to start steaming my own carrots on the 15th.  Let me know if you drop by Rome.

Serves 1
Recipe adapted from here
Ingredients
1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup water
a splash of vinegar
1/4 tsbp baking powder
1 egg, lightly beaten
pinch of salt
1/2 tbsp sugar
pinch of saffron threads

Method
The night before, mix the oats with the water and vinegar.  Cover and chill in fridge overnight.
The next morning, mix in baking powder.  Then in another bowl, whisk the egg, sugar, salt and saffron threads.  Whisk the two mixtures together.
Put some oil/butter in a skillet and let that melt over medium-high heat, scoop about 2 tbsp of the batter into the skillet, gently spread it so it's even, and fry for about 2-3 minutes on each side or until set and golden.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner