Thursday 9 August 2012

Fajita-Spiced Mushrooms

I realized that there are really no better words to describe that god-awful feeling in that unbearable heat than "melting" and "baking".  You feel droplets of sweat slowly dripping from every surface of your body and before you know it your back is thoroughly wet, drenching in liquid.  It really does feel like you're melting.  And it affects your mood.  I'm tired, I'm frustrated, I feel heavy, I feel myself sinking into the ground with every step.  In the beginning I thought of it as a comfortable roasting heat outside -- definitely better than the high humidity heat where your sweat clings onto you and refuses to leave, now that's steaming.  This baking feeling, I don't know, it's better.  Though 30 minutes outdoors and I feel like I should be rubbed with spices, let me hold onto a couple of lemons, and no need to baste me, no, no.  My goodness it's hot here in Rome.  Oh the weather report lies, I know it's not merely 33 degrees outside, everyone says it's at least 41 but the weather report refuses to even go over 35.  I'm trying to relate all this complaining to a recipe, but I can't.  Would've been apt if this was an ice cream recipe, but oh well.  Here are some very delicious fajita-spiced mushrooms. I love mushrooms.  Thinking about them makes me feel better.

Recipe from here
Ingredients
250g portabella mushrooms
2 shallots, sliced

Marinade ingredients
1 tbsp water
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
juice of 1 lime
3 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 - 3/4 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp paprika

Method
Slice the mushrooms and place in a bowl with all the marinade ingredients.  Let them sit for at least half an hour.  Fry the onions until brown in some olive oil, then add the mushrooms along with the marinade.  Stir and let cook for about 10 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. these must be tried! they look delicious ....and oh dont tell me about the heat ..just got back from australia and hating it!!!

    ReplyDelete

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner