Tuesday 28 August 2012

Summer Calamari Salad

I always have plenty of seafood when I'm back in Italy -- there's no denying it, the best seafood is in the Mediterranean sea. In fact, I may be biased, but the best produce comes from this area.  Fruits, vegetables, seafood, meat -- I'm very thankful for the fact that I'm Italian.  See, on British television, I've heard them boast about their produce several times, claiming that they have the best produce in the world.  Uh huh. Anyway, living in Britain for most of the year, and being only in Italy for summers, I have to say that... That I was stupid.  I could be studying in Rome, at the University of John Cabot or whatever. I could be.  I could be eating calamari and tomatoes and beautiful, beautiful oranges all year round.  But it's ok.  Maybe this makes me appreciate them more. Scotland's got good salmon. And potatoes.
I love calamari, not everybody does though.  I personally love the chewiness.  Grill them, boil them, steam them -- mix them with some vegetables and toss with a vinaigrette and it becomes an excellent appetizer or side dish in the summer.

Serves 1
Ingredients
2 calamari
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
1/2 red pepper
1 shallot
a bunch basil leaves
a bunch parsley
Lemon juice
Fish sauce

Method
Clean the calamari and cut into rings -- or ask your dear fishmonger to do this for you.
Chop the cherry tomatoes in half
Julienne the pepper
Thinly slice the shallot
Finely chop the basil and parsley
Bring a pot of water to the boil, drop in the calamari and take them out when just tender, about a minute.
Make the vinaigrette by mixing lemon juice and fish sauce to taste. Mix all the ingredients together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner