Saturday 4 August 2012

Healthy Apple Pancakes

I like to be creative with my breakfasts, especially on those days where I just wake up with an unsupportable hunger. Maybe I didn’t eat enough last night. I’ve gotten to that stage where it’s getting harder and harder for me to find people my age when out with my dad and his friends. There used to always be kids my age that would be unwillingly dragged along by their parents, but now I guess most university students are off doing their own thing in the summer. Last night’s party consisted of people my parents’ age, my grandparents’ age, and then high school students. I realized that since moving to the UK, no matter with whom, after the initial hello, where are you from, what do you do’s, my socializing topic of choice becomes that of the weather. It’s perfect as it’s not age specific, everyone knows about the weather, everyone has some feeling towards the weather. Right now it’s getting hot in Rome, but I’m not complaining. At least it’s not still under 20 degrees, windy, and cold *cough* Scotland *cough*.

With the topic of the weather I manage to befriend people of all ages. Try it. Life tip.

You become so engrossed in conversation with others that you forget about the food at the party (well, not exactly what happened. I wasn't a fan of the pasta). Then in the morning you can make yourself a batch of these healthy pancakes. Use whatever flour you want, I used oat flour. You don't have to use grated apples, add chocolate chips, some other fruit, or make it savory by adding more salt and spices and mixing in some peas or onions or something.


makes about 4 pancakes
Ingredients
50g oat flour (any type of flour will do)
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp cinnamon
a dash of nutmeg
pinch of salt
1 tbsp sugar
1 egg
50g milk/orange juice
1 medium apple, grated

Method
Mix the dry ingredients together. In another bowl, whisk the egg and the orange juice together. Add the dry ingredients to the liquid and whisk until uniformly combined. Mix in the grated apple. Panfry until golden brown and cooked through, a few minutes on each side.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner