Friday 21 December 2012

Tomato and Egg Stir-Fry (西红柿炒鸡蛋)

After a long, dreadful, sleepless journey, I'm back in Beijing.

The thing is I just can't sleep on planes.  You know what it is? Babies. Stupid babies.  I've developed an ugly hatred for babies on planes.  To be fair, I don't actually blame them.  It must be painful with the air pressure, and I used to be one of those screaming babies on planes myself.  I blame the parents for bringing them. 

I see a simple solution to the problem -- charge extra for babies.  Babies fly for free -- they're essentially an extra carry-on.  They're crying hand luggage.  Yes, they don't take up any space, but they cause so much negative externality to the other passengers on the plane, that in order for your other customers to have a pleasant journey, you must reduce the number of crying babies on planes.  And the best way to change behavior involves money -- so by charging extra, people will think twice about bringing their 5-month-old's to the next holiday.


So I'm back in Beijing.  This was my favorite Chinese dish growing up.  It was all I wanted from my mother -- just this and plain bold rice.  It may not seem like much, but I do not know a single foreigner who dislikes this dish.  It really does appeal to the Western palate with its simple bold flavors.  It's so incredibly simple to whip up in 10 minutes, serve with rice, and it's a nice simple meal.  Promise. 

serves 2-3 if accompanied by other dishes along with rice, or just 1 on its own
Ingredients
3 eggs
2 large tomatoes, chopped
1 nob of ginger, minced
1 clove of garlic, minced
1⁄2 tbsp sugar
1 sprig of spring onion, chopped

Method
-Whisk the eggs with a bit of water and salt. Heat some oil in a pan and scramble eggs. Take out and reserve.
-In the same pan, fry the garlic, spring onion and ginger until fragrant, then add the tomatoes. Fry for an additional minute or two before adding in the scrambled eggs, soya sauce and sugar. Cover and let simmer for 5 minutes. Season and serve with rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner